These spelt flour cookies are sweet and chocolaty with crispy edges and chewy centers. They’re vegan, refined sugar free, and perfect when you’re in the mood for a nutritious dessert. These spelt cookies are quick and easy to make too.
What to serve with these spelt flour cookies
If you’re adding these cookies to a dessert table and would like to include another tasty vegan option, try these delicious buckwheat flour cookies. They’re sweet, chocolaty, and delicious.
Main ingredients and substitutions
Spelt is a whole grain, nutrient-dense, ancient species of wheat. Spelt flour has a warm, nutty, slightly tangy flavor that complements the cocoa powder in these cookies.
You can use any type of unsweetened cocoa powder you like in this recipe. Natural cocoa powder or Dutch process cocoa powder are the two main varieties you’ll usually find at grocery stores and either type is fine.
I sweetened these spelt cookies with maple syrup. You can substitute another liquid sweetener such as agave if you prefer.
Coconut oil adds a subtle hint of coconut flavor to these spelt flour cookies (and makes the edges of the cookies nice and crispy). You can substitute any other type of melted fat or liquid oil you prefer. Or for an oil-free version you can substitute any type of unsweetened nut or seed butter.
How to make them
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, then add the spelt flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
Next you’ll melt the coconut oil. I like to do this in the microwave on high power for 20 seconds. Or you can melt it in a pan on the stove set to low-medium heat.
Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a second mixing bowl, then mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then use your hands to combine everything until a cookie dough texture is achieved. This is a sticky job but wearing kitchen gloves makes it really easy.
Use your hands to roll the dough into 14 evenly sized cookie dough balls and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Use your fingers to flatten the dough balls into circles.
Bake the cookies are 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes.
Let the cookies cool off for at least 20 minutes before serving.
To add an extra layer of flavor and texture to these spelt cookies, mix half a cup each of chopped nuts and/or dark chocolate chips into the cookie dough before forming it into balls.
Storage and freezing
Store these spelt flour cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
More nutrient-dense recipes to try
- These spelt flour muffins are sweet, moist, and delicious.
- These chickpea wraps are vegan and gluten free.
- These vegan stuffed portobello mushrooms are filling and flavorful.
- These vegan oat flour cookies have crispy edges and soft, chewy centers.
Spelt Flour Cookies
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the spelt flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl, then mix well.
- Melt the coconut oil (either by heating it in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds on high power, or in a pan on the stove set to low-medium heat).
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to a second mixing bowl, then mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then use your hands to combine the ingredients until a cookie dough texture is achieved. This is a sticky job so wear kitchen gloves for this step (and for the following two steps) if you prefer.
- Use your hands to roll the cookie dough into 14 evenly sized dough balls and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Use your fingers to flatten the dough balls into circles.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool off for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup each of chopped nuts and/or dark chocolate chips.
- Store these spelt flour cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze them for up to six months.