These vegan, gluten-free, coconut flour peanut butter cookies are chewy with crisp edges. They’re perfect if you’re craving a treat that’s both sweet and a little salty. These vegan coconut flour cookies are grain free, dairy free, egg free, and refined sugar free. They’re a nutritious dessert or snack that is sure to satisfy both kids and grownups.
What to serve with these coconut flour peanut butter cookies
For an extra indulgent treat, make ice cream sandwiches using these cookies and this no-churn banana bread ice cream. It’s easy to make and is also refined sugar free and vegan.
Main ingredients and substitutions
These coconut flour peanut butter cookies call for only five ingredients, the first of which is natural, smooth (aka creamy) peanut butter. You can substitute crunchy peanut butter if you prefer. Just be sure to use a brand of peanut butter that doesn’t contain any added sugar. The only ingredient listed on the jar should be peanuts. Alternatively you can easily make your own peanut butter at home by blending up peanuts in a food processor.
I sweetened these vegan peanut butter cookies with maple syrup. I love the flavor combination of peanut butter and maple syrup, and I find that using a liquid sweetener gives these cookies a soft, chewy texture with just the right amount of crispiness around the edges. You can substitute other liquid sweeteners such as agave if you prefer.
Coconut flour is my preferred gluten-free and grain-free flour these days. It adds a subtle, coconut flavor and satisfying texture to these cookies. I don’t recommend substituting other types of flour in this recipe because coconut flour is much more absorbent than most other flours.
How to make them
These vegan, gluten-free peanut butter cookies are quick and easy to make. Start by allowing the peanut butter to come to room temperature, then mix the wet ingredients and salt together. Next you’ll add the coconut flour and mix once more.
The next step is to refrigerate that mixture for 30 minutes in order to achieve a cookie dough consistency.
After 30 minutes of chilling time, you’ll scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball in your hands before placing it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough (this recipe makes approximately 14 cookies).
Next you’ll use your fingers to flatten the balls down into round, cookie shapes before baking them for 10 minutes.
Once the cookies are finished baking, allow them to cool off for at least twenty minutes before removing from the pan and serving.
Storage and freezing
Store these vegan coconut flour cookies in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze them for up to six months.
To add an extra layer of flavor to these coconut flour peanut butter cookies, stir 1/2 cup each of dairy-free dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate) and/or chopped peanuts into the cookie dough.
More gluten-free cookie recipes to try
- These coconut oil cookies are easy to make and delicious.
- These buckwheat cookies are nutritious yet decadent.
- These chickpea flour cookies are sweet, chocolaty, and satisfying.
- These vegan pecan cookies have crispy edges and soft, chewy middles.
Coconut Flour Peanut Butter Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- 2/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough into your hands and roll it into a ball, then place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been formed into balls.
- Use your fingers to press the dough balls down and flatten them into circle shapes.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool off for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Store these coconut flour peanut butter cookies in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze them for up to six months.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup each of chopped peanuts and/or dairy-free dark chocolate chips.