These vegan gluten-free peanut butter cookies are chewy with crisp edges. They’re perfect if you’re craving a treat that’s both sweet and a little salty. These flourless peanut butter cookies made with coconut flour are grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and refined sugar free. They’re a plant-based dessert or snack option that is sure to satisfy both kids and grownups.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These cookies call for only five simple ingredients, the first of which is natural, smooth (aka creamy) peanut butter. You can substitute crunchy peanut butter if you prefer, but I love using a smooth or creamy variety. It’s really just personal preference and either way the cookies will turn out great.
Be sure to use a brand of peanut butter that doesn’t contain any added sugar (in order to keep these cookies refined sugar-free). The only ingredient listed on the jar should be peanuts.
Alternatively you can easily make your own peanut butter at home by blending up peanuts in a food processor.
I sweetened these vegan cookies with maple syrup. I love the flavour combination of peanut butter and maple syrup, and I find that using a liquid sweetener gives these cookies a soft, satisfying, chewy texture with just the right amount of crispiness around the edges.
Coconut flour is my gluten-free and grain-free preferred flour these days. The coconut flavour isn’t really noticeable in these cookies and the peanut butter is definitely the star of the show. You could substitute gluten-free oat flour instead of coconut flour if your prefer, but in that case just increase the amount to 3/4 cup.
These vegan gluten-free peanut butter cookies are so easy to make. Start by allowing the peanut butter to come to room temperature, then mix the wet ingredients and salt together. Next you’ll add the coconut flour and mix once more.
The next step is to refrigerate that mixture for 30 minutes in order to achieve a cookie dough consistency.
After 30 minutes of chilling time, you’ll scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball in your hands before placing it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough (this recipe makes approximately 14 cookies).
Next you’ll use your fingers to flatten the balls down into round, cookie shapes before baking them for 10 minutes.
More gluten-free cookie recipes
- These coconut oil cookies are easy to make and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
- These buckwheat cookies are nutritious yet decadent.
- These chickpea flour cookies are sweet, chocolaty, and satisfying.
- These vegan brownie cookies are soft and chewy with an intense chocolate flavour.
Vegan Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies (Made with Coconut Flour)
- Sheet pans
- Parchment paper
- 2/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough into your hands and roll it into a ball, then place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been formed into balls.
- Use your fingers to press the dough balls down and flatten them into circle shapes.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 14 vegan gluten-free peanut butter cookies.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for a few days. Or for longer term storage you can freeze them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Optional additions: 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts and/or 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips.
- These cookies are also delicious eaten straight out of the freezer. They have a satisfying, crunchy texture when eaten frozen.