These vegetarian chickpea stuffed peppers are an easy, filling, and tasty meal. Make a colorful assortment using any type of bell peppers you like.
Ingredients in these vegetarian stuffed peppers
Fresh bell peppers are the star of this recipe. I love using a mix of red, orange, and yellow peppers, especially if I’m making this dish in the fall.
I prefer to use canned chickpeas in this recipe but you can use dried cooked chickpeas instead if you want. If using canned chickpeas, make sure they don’t contain any added salt (or you can omit/reduce the salt in this recipe according to your taste).
Fresh basil adds a delicious layer of flavor to these vegetarian stuffed peppers but you can substitute other fresh herbs such as parsley or chives if you prefer. In a pinch you can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried herbs such as basil, oregano, or Italian seasoning if you don’t have any fresh herbs.
Finely chopped onion adds texture and savory flavor to this dish. I prefer using sweet onions but any type of onion is fine so use whatever you like.
Fresh chopped garlic works well in this dish but you can substitute jarred chopped garlic or garlic powder if necessary.
I used cherry tomatoes but any type of fresh tomato will work. Or if tomatoes aren’t in season then you can substitute 1 cup of chopped or crushed canned tomatoes instead.
How to make them
These chickpea stuffed peppers are quick and easy to prepare. Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then wash and dry the bell peppers before cutting the tops off and removing the cores.
Place the peppers cut side up in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (or a similarly sized dish that’s large enough to accommodate the peppers). If your baking dish is quite shallow then you can place a sheet pan underneath to catch any liquid that might spill out of the pan and into the oven.
Next you’ll rinse and drain the canned chickpeas and add them to a large mixing bowl along with the extra virgin olive oil, basil, garlic, onion, cherry tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), and salt. Add half of the grated vegan cheese (1/2 cup), then mix well.
Spoon that mixture into the peppers, then sprinkle on the rest of the grated vegan cheese. Cover the pan (either with a lid or aluminum foil) before baking for 45 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Then remove the lid/foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes before serving.
You can store these peppers in the fridge for up to three days.
To add an extra layer of flavor and texture to these chickpea stuffed peppers, sprinkle on some toasted pine nuts immediately before serving.
More vegetarian recipes to try
- These garlicky roasted radishes are easy to make and loaded with flavor.
- These stuffed portobello mushrooms are filling, delicious, and perfect for entertaining.
- These pecan stuffed dates have the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors.
- This chickpea flour omelette is a tasty, vegan breakfast idea.
Chickpea Stuffed Peppers (Vegetarian)
- 6 bell peppers (any color is fine)
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas with no added salt (or substitute cooked dried chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes (or substitute any other type of fresh tomatoes)
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese (any type you like)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse, dry, and cut off the tops and remove the cores of the bell peppers.
- Place the peppers cut side up in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (or use a similarly sized dish that accommodates the peppers).
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, finely chopped onion, chopped fresh basil, chopped garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), and half of the shredded vegan cheese (1/2 cup) to the mixing bowl, then mix well.
- Spoon that mixture into the peppers, then sprinkle the rest of the grated vegan cheese on top.
- Bake, covered with either a lid or aluminum foil, at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until the peppers are tender, then remove the cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve these vegetarian stuffed peppers hot or allow them to cool off before storing them in the fridge for up to three days.
- Optional addition: sprinkle some toasted pine nuts on top immediately before serving.