If you’re looking to sneak some extra probiotics into your diet, this chocolate kefir smoothie recipe is a tasty way to do it. This nutritious drink is refined sugar-free and so easy to prepare.
You can scale this recipe up and make a few servings at a time, then store them in the fridge for a few days for an easy breakfast or snack on the go.
What to serve with this chocolate kefir smoothie
If you’re having this smoothie for breakfast on the go, try it with one of these delicious maple sweetened banana muffins. They’re vegan and refined sugar free.
Main ingredients and substitutions
Coconut Kefir is the star of this recipe and it’s what gives this smoothie its tangy flavor and creamy texture. Coconut kefir is made from coconut water that has been fermented with kefir grains. It’s packed with potassium and loaded with probiotics.
This smoothie is sweetened with Medjool dates. I love using Medjool dates because they’re a good source of various nutrients and have a lovely, caramel-like flavor.
You can substitute other varieties of dates if you prefer, but keep in mind that if the dates you choose are particularly small, you may have to add a few extra dates in order to achieve the same level of sweetness.
If you don’t have any dates at all but still want to make this smoothie, you can substitute some raw honey or maple syrup to taste. Alternatively you could leave out the sweetener altogether and add 1/2 cup of banana, mango, or any other sweet fruit you like.
This smoothie gets its intense chocolate flavor from cocoa powder. If you’re a chocolate mint lover, you could add 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves to whip up a delicious mint chocolate smoothie.
This chocolate kefir smoothie also tastes great with the addition of some berries such as raspberries or strawberries, so go ahead and add 1/4 cup of your favorite berry if you like. Or toss in a handful of some mild greens such as baby spinach to up the nutrition factor even more.
More refined sugar-free drink recipes
- For another refreshing drink recipe, try this homemade refined sugar-free ginger ale. It’s also sweetened with dates.
- This sweet tea recipe is perfect for summer entertaining. It’s refined sugar free but you’d never guess from its sweet taste.
- Or try this yummy date-sweetened hot chocolate recipe. It’s the perfect drink when you’re craving something warm and cozy.
Chocolate Kefir Smoothie
- 2 Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup coconut kefir
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Add the coconut kefir, Medjool dates, cocoa powder, and water to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to three days, then stir before serving.
- For a make-ahead breakfast, store this chocolate kefir smoothie in the fridge for up to three days, then stir before serving.