This refined sugar free sweet tea is a refreshing and delicious drink with no added sugar. It’s perfect for barbecues and outdoor parties during the warmer months, but no special occasion is required to enjoy this flavourful thirst quencher.
This iced tea is sweetened with a simple date syrup instead of white sugar. This recipe is ideal if you’re trying to reduce your consumption of refined sugar but still want to enjoy a sweet beverage once in a while.
How to make this refined sugar free sweet tea
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The trick to achieving a flavourful pitcher of sweet tea is allowing the tea sufficient time to steep. I prefer to let the tea steep for two hours, but if you’re short on time you can reduce the steeping time to one hour and the result will be almost as bold tasting and delicious.
This iced tea is sweetened with a simple date syrup that’s quick and easy to make. Simply add the dates and some water to a pot on the stove, bring that mixture to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then strain out the dates and reserve the delicious syrup. It’s the perfect sweetener for this refined sugar free iced tea.
One important step is to thoroughly chill the sweet tea before serving. I like to refrigerate the pitcher of tea for at least two hours, then when I’m ready to serve it I fill some glasses with ice and a couple of lemon slices, then fill up the glasses with the chilled sweet tea.
Substitutions & additions
The star ingredient in this recipe is black tea. I prefer to use earl gray tea in this recipe, but you can use any variety of black tea you prefer. And if you’d rather avoid caffeine, go ahead and use your preferred variety of decaffeinated tea.
I generally like to keep this recipe simple by sticking to three key flavours: the tea itself, date syrup, and lemon, but there are plenty of additional flavourings you could add if you like. Some fresh mint, berries, or peach slices would be nice additions to this refined sugar free sweet tea recipe if you’re feeling fancy.
More refined sugar free drink recipes
For another delicious drink recipe with no added sugar, try this refreshing refined sugar free ginger ale. It also calls for date syrup and is so easy to make.
Or try this tasty and filling chocolate kefir smoothie. It tastes like a treat but is made with nutritious ingredients.
Refined Sugar Free Sweet Tea
- 5 black tea bags
- 1 cup dates (tightly packed)
- 10 cups water (2 cups boiling water to steep the tea, 4 cups cold water to make the date syrup, 4 cups cold water to add before serving)
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- Ice cubes
- Add 5 black tea bags and 2 cups of boiling water to a teapot and let steep, covered, for two hours.
- While the tea is steeping, make a date syrup by adding the dates and 4 cups of cold water to a pot on the stove.
- Bring the date/water mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Using a strainer, pour the date syrup out of the pot and reserve it (you can either discard the dates or store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days and use them to sweeten smoothies).
- Allow the date syrup to cool.
- After the tea has finished steeping, add the tea, date syrup, and 4 cups of cold water to a large pitcher.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve by filling glasses with ice cubes, a lemon slice or two, then fill the glass with the sweet tea mixture.
- Makes 8 servings of refined sugar free sweet tea.
- You can make this in advance and store it in the fridge for up to five days.
- Some optional additions include peach slices, berries, or fresh mint leaves.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.