This refined sugar-free, date hot chocolate is a delicious way to warm up during the colder months. It’s sweetened with date paste and doesn’t contain any added sugar. This hot cocoa is easy to make, nutrient rich, and kid approved. You can also serve this recipe cold and call it chocolate milk.
What to serve with this date hot chocolate
If you’re looking for a tasty, refined sugar-free treat to serve with this hot chocolate, try these yummy chocolate spelt flour cookies. They’re crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Ingredients and substitutions
This hot chocolate is sweetened with date paste which is just dates soaked in boiling water, then blended until smooth (see my date paste recipe for instructions). Date paste is a delicious refined sugar-free sweetener, but you can substitute other sweeteners such as maple syrup, agave, or honey, if you prefer. I prefer to use date paste because it has a neutral sweetness with a subtle, caramel-like flavor that doesn’t distract from the chocolaty taste of the cocoa powder.
There are two main types of unsweetened cocoa powder: natural and Dutch process. Either type works well in this hot chocolate recipe.
This recipe calls for pure vanilla extract. Be sure to use pure vanilla extract as opposed to artificial vanilla flavor if possible because you can really taste the difference.
How to make it
This hot chocolate is quick and easy to prepare. Start by adding the cocoa powder and boiling water to a pot on the stove or a microwave safe bowl and stir until the cocoa powder is dissolved. Then add the date paste, vanilla extract and milk, then heat until your desired temperature is reached, either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Some additional flavorings you could add to this date hot chocolate include a sprinkle of orange zest, some fresh mint leaves, or a dash of ground cinnamon.
More refined sugar-free drink recipes
- This refined sugar free ginger ale is refreshing, easy to make, and has no added sugar.
- This chocolate kefir smoothie is sweetened with dates. It’s easy to make, filling, and delicious.
- This refined sugar-free iced tea is perfect for summertime entertaining. Serve it with plenty of ice and fresh lemon slices.
Date Hot Chocolate
- Kettle or pot to boil water
- 1 cup milk or plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Fairtrade certified)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the cocoa powder and boiling water to a pot on the stove or a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir until the cocoa powder is dissolved.
- Add the date paste, vanilla extract and milk, then heat until your desired temperature is reached, either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- To give this date hot chocolate an extra layer of flavor, add a sprinkle of fresh orange zest, some fresh mint leaves, or a dash of ground cinnamon.
You might also like
- This vegan cashew cheesecake recipe is easy to make and perfect for entertaining.
- This paleo butternut squash soup is creamy, filling, and flavorful.
- These vegan spelt muffins are a nutrient rich, make-ahead breakfast.
- This paleo chocolate cake in a mug is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.