This refined sugar free ginger ale is refreshing and sweet, yet contains no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. It’s easy to make and is a nutritious alternative to the store bought sugary stuff. This homemade ginger ale recipe is perfect for entertaining, especially when dressed up with some fresh mint and lime slices.
What to serve with this refined sugar-free ginger ale
If you’re serving this at a party and are looking for a delicious finger food appetizer to pair with this drink, try these mouthwatering stuffed dates. They’re sweet, savory, creamy, and crunchy.
Ingredients and substitutions
The star of this refined sugar-free ginger ale recipe is fresh ginger. Ginger is a nutritious root with a warm, slightly spicy flavor. It’s easy to find at grocery stores. Be sure to use fresh ginger as opposed to jarred or ground ginger.
This homemade ginger ale is sweetened with dates that have been boiled along with the fresh ginger, then strained. Alternatively you can omit the dates and sweeten it with one tablespoon of maple syrup or agave per person (or to taste).
How to make it
Start by peeling the fresh ginger. You can use a vegetable peeler or alternatively the back of a spoon can be used to scrape off the peel.
Next you’ll add the ginger, dates, and water to a pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. Continue to boil for 25 minutes to make a syrup, then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
Once it’s cool, strain and discard the dates and ginger, but reserve the syrup. Mix the syrup and soda water in a large pitcher, then serve with ice.
Garnish this refined sugar-free ginger ale with fresh mint leaves and lime or lemon slices. For an extra pretty presentation, make a batch of ice cubes in an ice cube tray and add a couple of fresh mint leaves to each cube before freezing. Or add a few raspberries, blackberries, chopped strawberries, or chopped peaches to the glass for a festive presentation.
Store the ginger and date syrup in the fridge for up to five days. Mix with carbonated water immediately before serving.
More refined sugar free drinks
- This refined sugar free sweet tea is perfect for entertaining. It’s easy to make, sweet, and refreshing.
- Or try this chocolate kefir smoothie. It’s filling and makes a delicious breakfast on the go.
Refined Sugar Free Ginger Ale
- 1 cups pitted dates (tightly packed)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 6 cups cold carbonated water
- Add the dates, ginger, and water to a pot and bring to a boil, then continue to boil, uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Strain the mixture to discard the date and ginger chunks and reserve the syrup.
- Mix the syrup and soda water in a large pitcher, then serve with ice.
- If you’re making this refined sugar free ginger ale recipe for a large group, prepare a double or triple batch of the syrup in advance, then mix with carbonated water right before serving.
- Optional garnishes for this refined sugar-free ginger ale include fresh mint, lime, or lemon slices.