This homemade, refined sugar-free ginger ale is refreshing and sweet, yet contains no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. It’s easy to make and is a nutritious alternative to the store bought sugary stuff. This drink is perfect for entertaining, especially when dressed up with some fresh mint and lime slices.
Ingredients & substitutions
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The star of this recipe is fresh ginger. Ginger is a nutritious root with a warm, slightly spicy flavour. It’s easy to find at grocery stores. Be sure to use fresh ginger as opposed to jarred or ground ginger.
This ginger ale is sweetened with dates that have been boiled along with the fresh ginger, then strained. Alternatively you could omit the dates and sweeten it with honey (to taste) if you prefer.
How to make it
This homemade, refined sugar-free ginger ale is quick and easy to prepare. Start by peeling the fresh ginger. You can use a vegetable peeler or alternatively the back of a spoon can be used to scrape off the peel.
Next you’ll add the ginger, dates, and water to a pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. Continue to boil for 25 minutes to make a syrup, then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
Once it’s cool, strain and discard the dates and ginger, but reserve the syrup. Mix the syrup and soda water in a large pitcher, then serve with ice.
Garnish this refined sugar-free ginger ale with fresh mint leaves and lime or lemon slices.
For an extra pretty presentation, make a batch of ice cubes in an ice cube tray and add a couple of fresh mint leaves to each cube before freezing.
Or add a few raspberries, blackberries, chopped strawberries, or chopped peaches to the glass for a festive presentation.
More refined sugar-free drinks
This refined sugar-free sweet tea is perfect for entertaining. It’s easy to make, sweet, and refreshing.
Or try this chocolate kefir smoothie. It’s filling and makes a delicious breakfast on the go.
Refined Sugar-Free Ginger Ale
- 1 cups pitted dates (tightly packed)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 6 cups cold soda water
- Add the dates, ginger, and water to a pot and bring to a boil, then continue to boil, uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Strain the mixture to discard the date and ginger chunks and reserve the syrup.
- Mix the syrup and soda water in a large pitcher, then serve with ice.
- If you’re making this recipe for a large group, prepare a double or triple batch of the syrup in advance, then mix with soda water right before serving.
- Optional garnishes include fresh mint, lime, or lemon slices.