This homemade, paleo ketchup recipe has the right balance of salty, sweet, tangy, and savory flavors. It’s perfect for dipping French fries, sweet potato fries, or anywhere else you like to use ketchup. This ketchup is easy to make and takes just a couple of minutes to prepare. You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Ingredients in this paleo ketchup recipe
Store bought ketchup typically contains a lot of sugar. This homemade ketchup recipe is sweetened with date paste and doesn’t contain any added sugar. You can make date paste by soaking some dates in boiling water, then blending them up. See my date paste recipe for exact amounts and instructions.
The main flavor of this ketchup comes from tomato paste. I used store bought canned tomato paste but you can make your own tomato paste at home if you prefer.
This ketchup gets its tangy, slightly sour flavor from some apple cider vinegar, but you can substitute any type of vinegar you prefer. White vinegar works, as does balsamic vinegar (but balsamic vinegar will change the color of the ketchup, so stick with a paler vinegar if you prefer to keep the ketchup bright red).
This ketchup is spiced with garlic powder and onion powder. You can substitute fresh garlic and onion if you prefer.
I included some salt in this paleo ketchup recipe to give it plenty of flavor. You can reduce or omit the salt according to your preference or dietary requirements.
If you love spicy food, add a pinch of fresh chopped chili peppers or dried chili flakes to this ketchup recipe.
How to make it
This homemade ketchup recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Simply add all the ingredients to a bowl, then stir.
Store this paleo ketchup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to seven days.
More paleo recipes to try
- These paleo baked coconut flour donuts with coconut flour are a delicious, nutrient-dense treat.
- These paleo pumpkin cookies are warmly spiced, soft, and chewy.
- These paleo lemon cake are perfect for a make-ahead breakfast or snack.
- This paleo sweet potato soup recipe is easy to make and loaded with flavor.
Paleo Ketchup Recipe
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or substitute for whatever vinegar you like)
- 2 tablespoons date paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine the tomato paste, apple cider vinegar (or substitute for whatever vinegar you like), garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and date paste in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Serve or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to seven days.
- To add an extra flavor boost to this paleo ketchup recipe, add a pinch of fresh or dried chilis.
You might also like
- This oat flour pancakes recipe is quick and easy to make.
- These chocolate coconut date balls are vegan and refined sugar free.
- This sweet potato beetroot salad is an elegant first course for special occasions.
- This paleo coconut flour brownies recipe is vegan and gluten free.