These gluten-free, vegan applesauce muffins are sweet and delicious with a satisfying texture and plenty of apple cinnamon flavor. You can make these muffins ahead of time and freeze them for a nutritious and filling breakfast or snack ready to go on busy days.
What to serve with these vegan applesauce muffins
These applesauce muffins would be delicious with this blueberry freezer jam. It’s easy to make and refined sugar free.
Main ingredients and substitutions
I used store bought unsweetened applesauce in these gluten-free applesauce muffins but homemade works too as long as it doesn’t contain added sugar.
This recipe calls for oat flour. You can make oat flour at home by blending up some rolled oats in a food processor or blender for 2-3 minutes. It’s budget friendly and easy to do, or you can purchase it ready made if you prefer to save that step. Or you can substitute all purpose flour if you prefer.
Melted coconut oil works well in these vegan applesauce muffins. I like to melt it in the microwave but you can melt it on the stove if you prefer. You can substitute any other type of oil you prefer. Or for an oil-free version you can substitute nut butter such as almond butter or natural peanut butter instead of the oil.
How to make them
Start by preheating the oven, then add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix well.
Next you’ll add the oat flour and baking powder, then whisk again to combine.
Divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan.
Bake these gluten-free applesauce muffins for 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin looks clean upon removal. Let the muffins cool off completely before serving.
Storage and freezing
Store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze them for up to six months.
To add an extra layer of flavor and texture to these vegan applesauce muffins, stir half a cup of chopped nuts and/or raisins into the batter before transferring to the muffin pan.
More easy recipes to try
- This vegan apple crumble recipe is easy to make and full of warm fall spices.
- These roasted radishes are a flavor-loaded side dish.
- This nutritious buckwheat cake is moist, rich, and chocolaty.
- These flaxseed muffins are sweet, moist, and delicious.
Vegan Applesauce Muffins (Gluten Free)
- 1 Muffin Pan
- Paper baking cups
- 2 cups oat flour (or substitute all purpose flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or substitute your preferred oil)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, then use a whisk to mix well.
- Add the oat flour and baking powder and whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan using paper baking cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool completely before removing from the muffin pan and serving.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and/or raisins.
- Store these gluten-free, vegan applesauce muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze them for up to six months.
You might also like
- These buckwheat cookies are easy to make and perfect when you’re craving a chocolaty treat.
- This maple vinaigrette is has the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors.
- This oatmeal banana chocolate chip muffin recipe is quick and easy to make.
- These vegan lemon blueberry muffins are sweet, tart, and delicious.