These vegan applesauce muffins turned out sweet and delicious with a satisfying texture and plenty of apple cinnamon flavour. They’re gluten free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, and perfect served as a nutritious breakfast or snack.
Vegan Applesauce Muffins – Key Ingredients
I used gluten free oat flour in these vegan oatmeal muffins because it’s a whole grain flour and I always have some in hand in my pantry. You can make oat flour at home by blending up some rolled oats in a food processor or blender. It’s inexpensive and easy to do.
If you’d rather not use oat flour in these muffins you can substitute your preferred gluten free flour (but these muffins don’t work well with coconut flour so I wouldn’t attempt that particular substitution).
I used store bought unsweetened applesauce in this recipe but if you prefer to use homemade applesauce, go ahead and the results should be delicious.
These vegan applesauce muffins are perfect for making ahead, freezing, and thawing out when you want an easy snack or breakfast on the go.
If you want to make an even more filling version of these muffins you can add some nuts such as walnuts or pecans. Seeds such as pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds would be nice additions if you want to keep these vegan oatmeal muffins nut free.
As long as you don’t add any nuts, these dairy free gluten free applesauce muffins are perfect as a school safe snack that kids will likely approve of. You can make a batch or two when you have time, freeze them, and just add a frozen muffin to the kids’ lunchboxes the night before so they’ll be fully thawed by snack time.
One important step when making these muffins is to be sure to let the batter rest for approximately ten minutes before baking. I find letting the batter rest a little gives these vegan applesauce muffins a particularly satisfying texture.
Melted coconut oil works well in this recipe (I just melt mine in the microwave but you can melt it on these stove if you prefer or use liquid coconut oil instead). You can substitute your preferred oil in these muffins if you don’t want to use coconut oil.
For another gluten free vegan treat, try this vegan apple crumble recipe. It’s easy to make and full of warm fall spices.
Vegan Applesauce Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, then stir to combine.
- Add the gluten free oat flour and baking powder and stir again until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 paper lined muffin pan cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from the muffin pan.
- Makes 12 vegan applesauce muffins.
- You can add 1/2 cup of nuts, seeds, or raisins to these muffins if you like.
- Be sure to let the batter rest for 10 minutes before baking, as this step improves the texture of the muffins.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.