These vegan banana chocolate chip muffins turned out sweet and tender with a satisfying, cake-like texture. Serve these vegan banana muffins for breakfast, snack, or even dessert. They’re gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.
Main ingredients in these vegan banana chocolate chip muffins
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These muffins call for ripe bananas. Ideally, use bananas that have plenty of brown spots, but if all you’ve got are less ripe bananas you can still make these muffins – they just won’t turn out quite as sweet.
I used gluten free oat flour in this recipe. You can make oat flour by adding rolled oats to a blender or high powered food processor and blending for about two minutes. Then store the oat flour in an airtight container in the pantry, fridge, or freezer.
If you’re not able to eat oats due to a dietary restriction then try these buckwheat muffins instead. They taste similar and are equally easy to make.
These vegan banana muffins are sweetened with maple syrup. You can substitute honey if you prefer (provided you don’t need these muffins to be entirely plant-based).
This recipe calls for dairy free dark chocolate chips. You can substitute chopped dark chocolate, or 1/4 cup of cocoa powder if you don’t have any chocolate or chocolate chips but still want that hit of chocolate flavour.
These muffins are simple to make. While the oven is preheating, mash your bananas in a large mixing bowl until they become quite liquidy.
Next you’ll melt the coconut oil and add it, along with the maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon to the mixing bowl. Stir in the oat flour and baking powder, add the chocolate chips, and give it another quick stir.
The last step before baking is to divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin tray. I tend to use paper liners to ensure the muffins don’t stick, but you can skip the liners and grease the tray with coconut oil instead if you prefer.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes, then be sure to let these vegan chocolate chip muffins cool before enjoying.
Add 1/2 cup each of chopped walnuts, pecans, and/or peanuts to this recipe if desired.
Storing and freezing these muffins
These muffins are freezer friendly – just store them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to six months. Thaw at room temperature, in the microwave, or in the oven before serving these vegan banana muffins.
More gluten free vegan recipes
This black bean cake is rich, chocolaty, and fudgy. It’s easy to make and perfect when you’re craving a nutritious, plant-based dessert.
Or try these vegan candied spiced pecans. They have the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin tray
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the bananas to a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher or fork to mash them well.
- Melt the coconut oil, either by microwaving it in 20 second increments until melted, or in a pan on the stove.
- Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon to the mixing bowl with the mashed bananas, then mix well.
- Add the gluten free oat flour and baking powder and mix again.
- Add the dairy free dark chocolate chips and mix once more.
- Divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan with paper baking cups (or grease the pan with coconut oil instead of using paper baking cups if you prefer)
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool completely before serving.
- Makes 12 vegan banana chocolate chip muffins.
- Store in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze for up to six months.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup each of chopped walnuts, pecans, and/or peanuts.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes that call for nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.