This vegan cream of cauliflower soup is perfect when you’re craving a rich, creamy bowl of soup. It’s filling, easy to make, and delicious. This creamy vegan cauliflower soup is ideal for meal prepping. You can make a double batch and reheat the leftovers for easy dinners or lunches.
What to serve with this vegan cream of cauliflower soup
If you’re looking for a vegan main course to serve with this soup, try this delicious kale pasta sauce recipe. It’s nutritious, quick, and easy to prepare.
Ingredients and substitutions
I prefer to make this vegan cream of cauliflower soup with fresh cauliflower but in a pinch you can substitute frozen cauliflower.
I used almond milk as the creamy base for this soup, but you can substitute coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk or any other plant-based milk you prefer. Or if you prefer a less creamy version of this soup, you can use vegan vegetable broth instead of plant-based milk.
I wanted this vegan cauliflower soup to be filling, so I included potato in this recipe in addition to cauliflower. The carbs from the potatoes make this soup feel like a full meal. If you prefer a lower carb soup, you can substitute turnips instead of potatoes.
This soup calls for nutritional yeast, an ingredient commonly used in vegan cooking. Nutritional yeast has a satisfying, “cheesy” flavor that complements the other flavors in this soup nicely. If you’re not a fan of nutritional yeast then you can omit it.
I like to garnish this soup with fresh chopped parsley but you can substitute whichever fresh herbs you prefer. Basil, tarragon, or chives would all be delicious.
How to make it
This soup is quick and easy to prepare, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights. Start by sautéing the garlic and onions in a large pot on the stove. Your goal isn’t to brown or caramelize the onions – just cook them off a bit before adding the cauliflower, almond milk, and spices.
Next you’ll cook the soup, uncovered, for about 30 minutes before removing it from the heat. Add the nutritional yeast, then blend the soup. I prefer to use an immersion blender because it’s so easy to blend the soup right in the pot, but a regular blender or food processor works too.
Once the soup is blended to a smooth purée consistency you can garnish with fresh herbs, if desired, then serve hot.
Storage and freezing
Store this vegan cream of cauliflower soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze it for up to six months.
More vegan soup recipes
- This dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is pure comfort food.
- This butternut squash soup with coconut milk is flavorful and easy to make.
- This creamy dairy free asparagus soup is perfect during asparagus season.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup
- Immersion blender (or regular blender)
- 5 cups unsweetened almond milk (or substitute your preferred plant-based milk)
- 4 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 2 cups peeled and chopped raw white potatoes
- 1 cup chopped raw onions
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions to a pot on the stove and sauté on low-medium heat for one minute or until soft.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, almond milk, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cook uncovered on low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the nutritional yeast.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup right in the pot, or alternatively you can transfer it to a regular blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- For a lower carb version of this soup, substitute turnips instead of potato.
- Store this vegan cream of cauliflower soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or freeze it for up to six months.