This vegan cream of cauliflower soup is perfect when you’re craving a rich, creamy, velvety, vegan soup. This soup is hearty and filling – basically a meal in and of itself. This soup is ideal for meal prepping so go ahead and make a double batch and reheat the leftovers all week long for easy dinners or lunches.
Cauliflower is the star of this recipe. I prefer to make this soup with fresh cauliflower but in a pinch you can substitute frozen cauliflower.
This soup is quick and simple to make, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights. I used almond milk as the creamy base for this soup, but you can easily substitute coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk or any other plant-based milk you prefer. Or if you prefer a less creamy version of this soup, you can use vegan vegetable broth instead of plant-based milk.
I wanted this vegan soup to be quite filling, so I included potato in this recipe in addition to cauliflower. The carbs from the potatoes really make this soup feel like a full meal. If you prefer a lower carb soup, you can substitute turnips instead of the potatoes and cut back on the carbohydrates considerably by doing so.
This soup calls for nutritional yeast, an ingredient commonly used in vegan cooking. Nutritional yeast has a satisfying “cheesy” flavor that complements the other flavors in this soup nicely. If you’re not a fan of nutritional yeast you can just omit it.
I love garnishing this vegan cream of cauliflower soup with some fresh chopped parsley but you can substitute whichever fresh herbs you prefer. Basil, tarragon, or chives would be delicious options.
This vegan cream of cauliflower soup is quick and easy to prepare. Start by sautéing the garlic and onions in a large pot on the stove. Your goal isn’t to brown or caramelize the onions – just cook them off a bit before adding the cauliflower, almond milk, and spices.
Next you’ll cook the soup, uncovered, for about 30 minutes before removing it from the heat, adding the nutritional yeast, and blending it all up. I prefer to use an immersion blender because it’s so easy to blend the soup right in the pot, but a regular blender works too.
Once the soup is blended to a smooth purée consistency, it’s time to serve it up, garnish with some fresh herbs, and enjoy.
More vegan soup recipes
- For another rich and creamy vegan soup, try this mushroom soup.
- Or try this tasty paleo butternut squash soup.
- This asparagus soup is a must try during asparagus season.
Vegan Cream Of Cauliflower Soup
- Immersion blender (or regular blender)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 2 cups peeled and chopped raw white potatoes
- 1 cup chopped raw onions
- 5 cups gluten-free almond milk (or substitute your preferred gluten-free plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions to a pot on the stove and sauté on low heat for one minute.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, almond milk, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cook uncovered on low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the nutritional yeast.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup right in the pot, or alternatively you can transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Makes approximately 6 cups of vegan cream of cauliflower soup.
- You can substitute your favorite plant-based milk in this recipe.
- You can replace the potato with turnips for a lower carb version of this soup.