These vegan applesauce muffins are sweet and delicious with a satisfying texture and plenty of apple cinnamon flavor. They’re gluten free, egg free, dairy free, and nut free. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them for a nutritious and filling breakfast or snack ready to go on busy days.
Main ingredients and substitutions
I used store bought unsweetened applesauce in this recipe but homemade works too as long as it doesn’t contain added sugar.
This recipe calls for oat flour. You can make oat flour at home by blending up some rolled oats in a food processor or blender for 2-3 minutes. It’s budget friendly and easy to do, or you can purchase it ready made if you prefer to save that step.
If you’d rather not use oat flour in these muffins you can substitute your preferred flour (but these muffins don’t work well with coconut flour so I wouldn’t attempt that particular substitution).
Melted coconut oil works well in this recipe. I like to melt it in the microwave but you can melt it on the stove if you prefer (or use liquid coconut oil instead). Or you can substitute any other type of oil you prefer. For an oil-free version you can substitute nut butter such as almond butter or natural peanut butter instead of the oil.
How to make them
These vegan applesauce muffins are really easy to prepare. Start by preheating the oven, then add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix well.
Add the oat flour and baking powder, then whisk again to combine but don’t over-mix.
Divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan.
Bake for 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin looks clean upon removal. Let the muffins cool off completely before serving.
Storage and freezing
Store these muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze them for up to six months.
To add an extra layer of flavor and texture to these vegan applesauce muffins, stir half a cup of chopped nuts and/or raisins into the batter before transferring to the muffin pan.
More vegan recipes to try
- This vegan apple crumble recipe is easy to make and full of warm fall spices.
- These garlic roasted radishes are a flavor-loaded vegetable side dish.
- This nutritious buckwheat cake is moist, rich, and chocolaty.
- These vegan lemon blueberry muffins are sweet, tart, and delicious.
Vegan Applesauce Muffins
- 1 Muffin Pan
- Paper baking cups
- 2 cups oat flour (gluten-free if required)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or subsitute your preferred oil, or nut butter with no added sugar or salt)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten-free if required)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, then use a whisk to mix well.
- Add the oat flour and baking powder and whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan using paper baking cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool completely before removing from the muffin pan and serving.
- Optional additions include 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and/or raisins.
- Store these vegan applesauce muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or freeze them for up to six months.