Baked asparagus is an easy and healthy side dish that I’ll be cooking regularly during asparagus season. My recipe for oven roasted asparagus is simple, quick, and requires just a few pantry staples and some fresh asparagus.
If you’re making this recipe in the summertime and you’d prefer to keep the house cool, go ahead and cook this roasted asparagus in a toaster oven if you have one. I tend to do that in the warmer months and it definitely prevents my kitchen from heating up too much.
This recipe really couldn’t be much simpler. It’s just some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder (or fresh garlic if you prefer) and a little salt and pepper. The balsamic vinegar gives the asparagus a subtle hint of sweetness and tanginess which complements the flavour of the asparagus nicely.
The best part about roasting asparagus, or practically any vegetable for that matter, is the slight caramelization you can achieve. The tips get just a little crispy when you bake them which adds a depth of flavour that is certainly missing from plain old boring boiled asparagus.
While grilling asparagus on a barbecue is also great for achieving some excellent caramelization, I find the width of the asparagus spears are too narrow and at least a couple of the asparagus spears inevitably turn in the wrong direction, fall through the grill, and meet a fiery death. No thank you. Baking them is simpler and more pleasant. You’ve got enough problems in your life, cooking asparagus shouldn’t be one of them.
- 30 asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the asparagus spears to remove the tough ends and place on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the asparagus.
- Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss the asparagus spears around so they are evenly coated.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings of baked asparagus.
Baked Asparagus Nutritional Information:
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.