These curried chicken thighs are tender, juicy, and so flavorful. Marinate the chicken in advance, then all you have to do is bake them in the oven for an easy yet impressive dinner. They’re perfect served with rice and veggies to round out the meal. This dish is great for entertaining but also works for a cozy, casual meal at home.
This recipe calls for plenty of warm spices such as curry powder, cloves, and ginger. I opted to use dried spices as opposed to fresh ginger and garlic just to keep this recipe as easy as possible, but you can substitute the fresh stuff if you prefer.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is (surprisingly) yogurt. Yogurt tenderizes the chicken perfectly and keeps it unbelievably juicy. If you prefer to avoid dairy, you can substitute balsamic vinegar instead of the yogourt. I’ve made this chicken both ways and they’re equally flavorful, but the chicken turns out a bit juicier when I use yogurt in the marinade.
How to make them
These baked curried chicken thighs are so easy to make. Start by preparing the marinade. You can either do this in a large mixing bowl or a plastic freezer bag if you prefer. Add all the ingredients except for the chicken to your bowl, then stir (or swoosh it around in the bag a bit to mix everything together).
Next you’ll add the chicken thighs, then stir to ensure they get evenly coated in the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for a minimum of eight hours, but 24 hours is better and 48 hours is better still.
Once the chicken is marinated, they’re ready to bake. My preferred cooking method is to bake them in the oven on a parchment paper lined baking tray at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Alternatively you can grill these curried chicken thighs on the barbecue at the same temperature, with the lid closed, but reduce the cooking time to about 12 minutes per side (or until the chicken is cooked).
More gluten-free dinner recipes
- These vegan stuffed portobello mushrooms are a delicious plant-based meal for special occasions.
- This oven roasted okra is an easy, tasty, and nutritious vegetable side dish.
- These chickpea stuffed peppers are a filling and flavorful vegetarian dinner idea.
Curried Chicken Thighs (Oven Baked)
- 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Add the curry powder, olive oil, yogurt, cloves, ginger, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and sesame seeds to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and mix to ensure it's evenly coated with marinade.
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least eight hours (to a maximum of 48 hours).
- Place the chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then bake for 35 minutes.
- For a dairy-free version of these curried chicken thighs, substitute balsamic vinegar instead of yogurt.