These paleo cranberry muffins are such a satisfying combination of sweet and tart. They’re lightly spiced with cinnamon, vanilla and orange zest which compliment the juicy bursts of sourness from the cranberries.
In addition to being paleo diet friendly, these paleo cranberry muffins are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and grain free. They’re a simple one bowl recipe that you can throw together quickly for a weekend breakfast, brunch or as a healthy snack.
The flavours of cranberry and orange go nicely together which is why I included some orange zest in this dairy free, gluten free cranberry muffins recipe. However, I wanted the orange flavour to be pretty subtle so the cranberries could be the star of the show. For that reason I only used half a teaspoon of orange zest, but if you want these to be true cranberry orange muffins you can go ahead and double the amount of orange zest for a stronger orange flavour.
You can make these muffins when you have time (you won’t need much time though – they only take a few minutes to prep) and freeze them so you can grab one on-the-go for breakfast or add them to everyone’s lunch bags for a nutritious snack or treat.
Cranberries, like most berries, are high in vitamins and antioxidants so these cranberry muffins are great if you’re trying to add more nutrient dense breakfast and snack options to your diet. If you have picky kids, these muffins are a great way to sneak some extra nutrition into them.
I used coconut flour in these muffins because I love the slightly sweet coconut flavour it adds to baked goods. Coconut flour is a great grain free alternative that’s lower in carbohydrates than your typical grain based flours. I’ve been using it in practically all my baking lately.
If you’re craving a treat, these paleo cranberry muffins make a good refined sugar free healthy dessert option. Especially if you’re like me and love the combination of sweet and tart in desserts.
More Paleo Muffin Recipes
- For another delicious grain free muffin recipe, try these paleo banana muffins. They’re easy to make, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Or try these lemon poppy seed muffins. They’re sweet and tart with a nutty crunch from the poppy seeds.
Paleo Cranberry Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the eggs, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, vanilla extract, orange zest, cinnamon and applesauce to a large mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the cranberries and then spoon the batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 33 minutes.
- Makes 12 paleo cranberry muffins.
- You can double the amount of orange zest if you prefer a true cranberry orange muffin.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.