This refined sugar free apple pie jam tastes just like apple pie in a jar. It chia seeds which give this jam a delightful texture plus plenty of extra nutritional value.
Apple Pie Jam – Main Ingredients
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I used half granny smith and half golden delicious apples in this recipe because my sister (who makes the most delicious pies I’ve ever tasted) assures me that’s the ideal combination for apple pie. Feel free to substitute whichever variety of apples you prefer.
This jam is sweetened with date paste. Date paste is a tasty alternative sweetener made from dates that have been soaked and then blended into a puree texture. See my date paste recipe for exact quantities and instructions.
Combining apples with date paste works perfectly in this recipe because the date paste thickens the jam slightly and adds a caramel-like flavour which complements the apples nicely.
The addition of chia seeds give this apple jam extra nutritional value. Chia seeds are a good source of both fibre and omega 3. The chia seeds also help thicken the jam nicely and give it a satisfying consistency. If you’d rather omit the chia seeds, just boil the jam for 10 minutes longer to achieve a similar consistency without the chia seeds.
Spread this apple pie jam on fresh bread, toast, or muffins for breakfast or a snack. Or add a spoonful on top of crackers and aged cheddar and serve as an autumn themed hor d’oeuvre. This would also be amazing drizzled on top of yogurt, ice cream, or in a smoothie.
This apple pie jam would make a lovely Christmas gift or host gift during the holiday season. Add a cute label or ribbon and you’re all set. Just be sure to mention that this apple pie jam hasn’t been preserved and is meant to be stored in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to six months.
More Spread Recipes
For another tasty refined sugar free jam recipe, try this freezer jam. It’s easy to make and you can use whichever type of berries you like.
Or try this hazelnut and chocolate spread. It’s delicious spread on toast, pancakes, or waffles.
Apple Pie Jam (With Chia Seeds)
- 4 cups peeled and finely chopped apples (preferably half granny smith and half golden delicious, but feel free to substitute a different variety)
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup date paste (see my date paste recipe for instructions)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Add the apples, water, date paste, apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice), cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg to a pot and bring to a hard boil, then continue to boil for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the chia seeds.
- Let the jam cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to six months.
- Makes 3 1/2 cups of apple pie jam.
- You can omit the chia seeds if necessary, in which case boil the jam for an additional 10 minutes to thicken it further.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.