This vegan walnut pesto is so good on some gluten free spaghetti or whatever pasta you have kicking around. This pesto is full of healthy fats in the form of walnuts and extra virgin olive oil. A bit of fresh lemon juice brightens and cuts through the richness of this sauce.
This is such a delicious way to consume raw garlic and parsley, both of which have many health benefits. And the warmth from the pasta takes the edge off the garlic by cooking it ever so slightly, while still preserving most of the nutritional benefits of the raw garlic. This vegan pesto would be delicious as a pizza sauce or dipping sauce for veggies too.
For another plant based pesto recipe, try this nut free vegan pesto. It’s easy to make, full of flavour, and perfect if you need to avoid nuts.
Vegan Walnut Pesto
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a blender or food processor add the fresh parsley, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Toss with pasta, use as a pizza sauce, or however you like! Or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Makes approximately 6 servings of vegan walnut pesto.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.