If you’re tired of making the same old vegetables, add this oven roasted okra to your repertoire of easy vegetable side dishes.
This baked okra is simple yet full of flavour and so delicious. It’s a great dairy free, paleo, vegan, and gluten free side dish to add to the rotation. It’s perfect for busy weeknights but impressive and tasty enough to serve to dinner party guests.
Oven Roasted Okra – Key Ingredients And Substitutions
This oven baked okra recipe calls for only six simple ingredient (and only four if you don’t count salt and pepper). I wanted to keep this recipe simple and let the flavour of the okra shine through, so it’s seasoned only with salt, pepper, some freshly chopped garlic, and sesame seeds.
If you don’t like sesame seeds (or you need to avoid them for allergy reasons) you can just omit them or substitute 1/2 teaspoon of your preferred dried herb. Thyme, rosemary, sage, or oregano are all good options if you don’t want to use sesame seeds.
This dish works well with fresh garlic but in a pinch you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have any fresh garlic or don’t have time to peel and chop the cloves.
Preparing The Okra
The first step to getting this oven roasted okra on the table is rinsing and drying the okra. Next you’ll trim off the stem side of the okra and then cut them in half, width-wise.
Okra has a reputation for being a bit… slimy. If you’re wondering how to make okra that isn’t slimy, the trick is cutting it in half before roasting. That allows (most of) the slime to ooze out of the okra and evaporate during the baking process (don’t read those last couple of sentences aloud to anyone you’re making this dish for who is on the fence about whether or not they like okra. Trust me, it’s delicious, trace amounts of slime notwithstanding).
The next step is to line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the rinsed, trimmed, and cut okra to the tray.
Then you’ll drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic, and sesame seeds. Then use your hands to toss the okra so each piece gets thoroughly coated with the oil and seasonings.
Next you’ll pop the okra into the oven and be sure to pause halfway through baking to give the tray a quick shake so that the okra pieces roll around on the tray a bit. This ensure even cooking so that no sides of the okra end up burnt.
Give this oven roasted okra a try and I suspect it will make it into your regular rotation of easy vegetable side dishes.
For another easy vegetable side dish, try this roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar. It couldn’t be simpler, yet it’s tasty enough to serve at a dinner party. Or for something a bit more filling, try this pesto quinoa. It’s a meal in and of itself and is perfect as a vegan dinner or lunch.
Oven Roasted Okra
- 4 cups fresh okra (chopped, width-wise)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and dry the okra.
- Trim the stem side off the okra, then cut the okra in half, width-wise.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Add the olive oil, sesame seeds, garlic, salt, and pepper on top of the okra and toss with your hands to ensure the okra is thoroughly coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, pausing after 15 minutes to shake the tray a bit so that the okra rolls around on the tray.
- Makes 4 servings of oven roasted okra.
- Be sure to shake the baking tray halfway through the baking process to ensure even cooking.
- Cutting the okra in half before roasting prevents it from turning out slimy.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I’m a home cook with a passion for creating gluten free and refined sugar free recipes that call for nutritious ingredients.