This dairy free, gluten free tomato coconut soup is creamy, comforting, filling, and delicious. This easy soup is a meal in and of itself, so add it to your rotation of nutritious dinner or lunch recipes.
This tomato based soup calls for strained tomatoes (usually sold in glass jars) but you can substitute canned crushed tomatoes instead.
This soup gets its coconut flavour from coconut milk. Any type of coconut milk will work in this recipe so you can use either canned coconut milk or the kind that comes in cartons.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this soup recipe, but you can substitute any cut of chicken you prefer. Or for a vegan version of this soup, go ahead and substitute tofu.
This tomato coconut soup is spiced with ginger, garlic, curry powder, and chilli flakes. If you’re not a fan of curry you can omit the curry powder.
To turn this soup into a complete, balanced meal, I like to serve this soup over brown rice noodles. Add the noodles to the individual bowls, then ladle the soup on top. If you add the noodles directly to the soup pot they tend to get overcooked, so it’s better to keep the noodles separate from the soup until just before serving.
You can substitute rice or quinoa instead of the noodles if you prefer. Or omit the noodles altogether for a low carb version of this soup.
I like to add baby corn and broccoli to this soup to make it a complete meal. You can substitute any other vegetables you prefer. Chopped bell peppers, bok choy, mushrooms, or cauliflower would work well, so use what you’ve got.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes
For another tasty gluten free soup recipe, try this vegan cauliflower soup. It’s rich, creamy and so easy to make.
Or try this dairy free mushroom soup recipe. It’s velvety smooth and delicious.
This vegan butternut squash soup is full of flavour from fresh ginger and coconut milk. It’s perfect in the fall or winter if you’re craving comfort food.
Tomato Coconut Soup
- 1 680 ml or 23 oz jar of strained tomatoes (or substitute canned crushed tomatoes)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or substitute tofu)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 can of chopped baby corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 340 g brown rice noodles optional
- In a large pot, add the tomatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, garlic, and ginger and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add the chicken (or tofu) and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and baby corn and simmer covered for an additional 12 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or over brown rice noodles.
- Makes 6 servings of tomato coconut soup.
- Store any leftover soup in the fridge for up to five days.
I’m Jennifer, the author at A Sweet Alternative. I create simple, gluten free recipes made with nourishing, nutrient-rich ingredients.